Planning & Zoning
Land Use Permits
A land use permit is required for any new construction or alterations to an existing building on your property, excluding roofing and siding. We need to verify your project is in compliance with the City of Canton Zoning Ordinance (View Land Usage Ordinance). Failure to comply, prior to starting your project, will result in a late fee of $400. If you are planning a building project, it is your responsibility to contact city hall and determine whether a land use permit is required for work to be done.
- Living space projects (including attached garages, decks and porches) are assessed a fee of $7.50 per 100 square feet.
- All other structures are assessed a fee of $5.00 per 100 square feet, with a minimum fee of $8.00.
Projects requiring a permit:
- New homes
- Home additions
- Garages (attached or detached)
- Storage buildings
- Manufactured homes (must be at least 20′ wide)
- Other buildings being moved onto property
Residential Zoning Setbacks:
- Front yard: 15 feet
- Side yard: 10 feet
- Rear yard: 10 feet
Carl Ernst, Zoning Administrator